Tessa makes 3!

The adventures of a young couple starting a family, teaching each other and learning as we go, and having fun doing it!

November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving

It's that time of year, the holiday season is upon us. With our first Christmas down (see post below), we are going to be heading to multiple Thanksgivings tomorrow, and I love it. I have a wild and crazy family and there is never a dull moment with us. I love seeing all my family and catching up, even though it's usually only a few months between visits.

I love that we can reminisce on past stories and laugh until we are crying pee a little. The same stories never get old, and there's always a new one that comes up, even if it happened 20 years ago. There's always a story that somebody hasn't heard yet, usually embarrassing someone else, but it's always a blast. I think it has something to do with the fact that all the grand kids are within a few years of each other (youngest is 21, oldest is 29).

Joel's  family is slightly more subdued, but they are a different generation since they still have little kids around, besides the obvious new babies that joined in the last couple of months. The oldest grandchild is 27, the youngest is 6.

So, in honor of Thanksgiving, we wanted to list what we're thankful for. Yes, Joel is going to participate too!

Andrea's List:
Number 1: Joel. He is such a wonderful husband and dad to Tessa. He puts up with my craziness, allows me to rearrange our house almost weekly, and lets me spend our money on things I can't seem to live without because it's just too good a deal to pass up. But more importantly, he is such a great person and entertains me endlessly. From flashing a smile that makes me melt even when I'm mad, to randomly doing the dishes or grabbing me for a foot rub, he is so helpful in everything.

Number 2: Tessa, of course. I am so thankful that she is here, that she's healthy, and that she's a wonderful baby. I am also thankful that she is a relatively easy baby. She has already changed our lives in so many wonderful ways in the past 4 weeks. I am thankful for the millions of ways she has blessed and changed everything about our family.

Number 3: My family. I have two absolutely wonderful families that have embraced my weirdness and support everything I do. They entertain me endlessly, help me through the tough times, and give me solid advice, whether I ask for it or not. They call and say hi just because they were bored and thought of me, they check in on us just because it's been a few days since they've talked to us, they provide us with so much love, support, and help, whether it is convenient for them or 3am.

Number 4: Coffee in the morning, getting fun mail, sleeping in, being able to provide for our family, lots of pillows, Tessa doing the cutest little things (yes, I've become one of those people!), the outpouring of love and support and concern we have received from friends, family, work folks, and random strangers. There are also a million other things I am thankful for.

Joel's list:
Number 1: Tessa. My wife should be number 1, but I already warned her that if we had a girl it would be a tie. Tessa brings so much joy to my life, with her funny faces and constant entertainment. I love playing with her and can't wait to teach her everything I know.

Number 2: Andrea, the wife. She takes great care of me and Tessa, and somehow makes the time to cook, clean, work, and be wonderful. She keeps me sane, allows me to unwind and clear my mind after work, she spends my money on things I think are unnecessary but she usually convinces me otherwise, and she  talks sense into me. Beyond that, she's pretty cool to hang out with and will watch the same shows I do, let me take naps, and doesn't make me change diapers.

Number 3: A great job and a safe home. I am glad I have a good, secure career that allows us to live comfortably in a decent townhouse, and still gives us money at the end of the month. It feels good to know that I can support our family and I am very thankful for that chance.

I am also thankful that I can use Tessa's naptime as an excuse to take a nap myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment